Thursday, July 12, 2012

These strawberries better be good




This morning we went to Rue Cler Market....a pedestrian street with open markets and restaurants.  We walked down this street on our first day in Paris (very close to apt) and these strawberries caught my eye and I've been thinking about them ever since.  Also, one of my co-workers was recently here and said the strawberries were delicous so I was intrigued to try them.  We got there around 9:45 am and most of the markets/restaurants were open, but some of the shops weren't open yet and others seemed like they were just setting up for the day.  It was not bustling like you might expect so it didn't quite have the vibe we were looking for....it's also very cloudy here today and kind of chilly so maybe people weren't out yet. 

We walked through the entire market very quickly to make sure we explored all our options before settling on which market we would buy the strawberries (I'm saying "we" here, but clearly this was all me....Joe didn't care and was basically along for the ride).  I settled on the market where I originally noticed the strawberries on our first day and picked up one container and a very tiny container of blueberries.  I never looked at the price so when the register rung up 11 euro I was a little suprised.....especially for those blueberries....4.95 euro (maybe they were imported from NJ).  I would say that relatively speaking for what we were buying, this was our most expensive purchase yet....so they better be good!



Well, we just at the berries and although they were good, I would say they were prettier than they actually tasted.

The best part of Rue Cler for me was seeing the different flower shops....here are some photos.  On a sunny say, I'm guessing the flowers really stand out as you walk through the street.





Joe just read something on the internet that said Rue Cler Market is overrated, or at least overhyped, and we tend to agree.  If you are staying close to this market, it's worth a walk through, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get here. 

No comments: