Friday, July 19, 2013

La Fontaine de Mars


We have previously blogged about this restaurant, which has been in this spot since 1908 . . . see website here, and as promised we returned one more time last year, and ate there again last night.  It is currently in a tie with Cuisine du Bar, each with three respective meals. Who will get to four first?  We are not sure, but once that tie has been broken, we will be providing the breaking news.

UPDATE: We have a winner.  We didn't plan on going here last night, but our other options looked like they had a wait, or only bad tables to sit at.  So we saw some nice tables available and were able to sit down immediately for the second night in a row.

What is not suspenseful is what Gina will be ordering (and she held up her side of the bargain), in either place.  Once she finds a favorite dish, she does not deviate.  In our favorite restaurant on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, Monaco, I believe Gina ordered the Chicken Tagine 48 out of the approximately 50 times we ate there.  I must say, she makes a lot fewer ordering mistakes than I do, so I can't criticize.

In fact, the night we got engaged I stopped in at Monaco prior to meeting up with Gina to propose.  I had a little time so I stopped there for a glass of wine and to confirm our table, that I had arranged in advance, for some guests to surprise Gina to celebrate our engagement.  I was explaining who Gina was to the staff of the restaurant, and while they didn't know her by name, once I told them what she ordered they all said, aaahhh, Chicken Tagine girl.

Back to La Fontaine de Mars.  It serves provencal food, food from a region in southeastern France.

One great thing about this place is that you don't have to waste space describing the meal Gina has, all you usually need is that first description, though we will provide a fresh picture here.


The bread continues to be a hit, the waiter told us where they get it from, but we couldn't quite make out what he said.  We thought it was the boulangerie across the street, but that is not the case.


I have countered Gina's consistency by ordering four different meals in four trips to the restaurant. It has given me a chance to explore some of the french classics.

Two nights ago I had escargot for an appetizer, an option that is on the menu.  They came in a tray with six cubby holes, buried in a garlic butter without their shells.  I enjoyed them, Gina did not partake.




Last night I chose Steamed Leeks with Herbs as my entree (which is the appetizer in France). This was a hit with both of us.  It really had an appealing flavor, and included some wonderful crispy croutons.


On Wednesday night I had the coq au vin, the weekly Wednesday special, a rich chicken braised in wine with lardons (like bacon) and mushrooms over pasta.  Very well done.


On Thursday I remembered reading about how Fontaine was a place that you could get a good crispy duck, (duck confit).  This is what I ordered, and will definitely be ordering again.  What you get is a crispy duck leg over potatoes with a little frisee salad on the side.



On Wednesday we were not able to fit in dessert . . .  that changed on Thursday.  We returned to a previous favorite, the chocolate mousse and also ordered a special, what they described as a chocolate cake covered with raspberries.  It was more like a dense chocolate tart, and it was delicious.



I saw a man that I think I know.  Not sure if it is because I know him personally, or he is a writer or actor.  I acted like I was taking a picture of Gina and was able to get him here. Hopefully someday I will figure this out.



We can't wait to come here on our next trip, probably on the first night.

No comments: